Making eco friendly paper plant pots

I have been given a paper plant pot maker which in itself looks like a lovely wooden ornament that would complement any self respecting potting shed.

On a cold frosty evening, I sat with my youngest daughter Amelia and set to – following the very simple ‘childs play’ instructions and made some plant pots.

Paper Pot makingOf course this was after the consultation on the fee that I would pay my daughter to complete a dozen pots and how much pocket money she would receive.  I think this girl will go far, she drives a hard bargain.

At first I thought that they would collapse and not withstand watering, but once the paper is folded twice and then rolled and turned out, it is a sturdy little pot that can then be planted straight into the ground.

But more than that, it gave me and Amelia time to chat about our day and what had occurred and I took a few photos of her happily making them. It was lovely to see her concentrating and comparing one pot to the other, then undoing the uneven one and trying again.  We pegged them together with the pegs that didn’t make great plant labels.  Much better as pegs!

I showed one of my very best friends who came for lunch today who happens to be a primary school teacher.  She loved the pot maker and I could see her thinking about using it with her class.

I’m sure there will be the argument that the pot won’t break down quickly enough and curtail the growth of the roots, but that’s maybe an experiment I can do in my square foot beds this spring.

Checking the raised beds today, the soil in the frame felt lovely and warm.  Weeds were growing which apparently is a sign that conditions are improving and its getting closer the planting time.

I noticed on Gardeners World on Friday that they used a thermometer in the soil to check the warmth.  Also they recommended the tomatoes that Sue and I have sowed.  So we must be doing something right.

9 Comments

1. Posted March 8, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Hi Anne, Fellow Access blogger here! I’ve been following your blog with interest! I’m pleased to see that the plant pots work – I’ve been thinking of buying the gadget for ages but wasn’t sure it would work. I’ll give it a try now.
    On the Square foot gardening, my raised beds go in next week and I’m trying to source the ingredients. Did you find anywhere that did the vermiculite and the peat moss (I can only find individual websites.) I’d be grateful for any useful contacts. I’m London based. My potatoes arrived yesterday so I’m taking your note about chitting them!

2. Matt
    Posted March 10, 2010 at 8:48 am | Permalink

I think the paper pots are a really good idea. I am sure there will be no problem with the newspaper decomposing as soon as they are planted.

Excellent blog.

3. Anne
    Posted March 10, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Janice. Lovely to hear from you. I hope you enjoy your raised beds, frame and blog as much as I am.

We usually go to a shop called Wilkinsons for general garden stuff. But I got some vermiculite from my local garden centre this week. I would always check out the local places first. Let me know the name of your blog, I would love to read it.

Best wishes
    Anne.

4. Anne
    Posted March 10, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Thank you Matt for your message. I’ll write about the pots once they are in use. I’ll get back to you about how they break down.

Thank you also for the positive feed back.

Anne.

5. Tessa
    Posted March 11, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Seeing your last paragraph about Tomatoes reminded me to let you know – I went to a kind of Gardener’s question time that was being recorded for a local radio station last week and one of the experts was talking about the importance of watering tomatoes. They recommended planting something with them, i.e., a bedding plant which wilts quite quickly if you forget to water them so it reminds you to water the tomatoes, or another idea was to sprinkle seeds of basil around the tomatoes so that you can have fresh basil when you eat them, either raw or in cooking. I thought that was very clever.

6. Anne
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Hi Tess. You gardending guru you!! I love those ideas. Can you remember what the plant was that they suggested to plant? I love Basil and the two are made for each other.

Thank you so much for those suggestions, I’ll run with those. Watch this space. Are you doing tomatoes too?

Anne. x

7. Tessa
    Posted March 12, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

The bedding plant they mentioned that wilts quickly without water is Petunia. I haven’t got any tomato plants yet, but will probably plant a few.

8. Posted March 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Hi Anne, thanks for your reply. I have had problems getting anything more than 10kg packets of vermiculite from all my local places – but I have since found some internet sites. This is my blog:
    I’ve invested in a pot maker and have acquired some old newspapers from my mum! I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

9. Anne
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Hi Janice. Lovely to hear from you. Glad you have found a supplier of vermiculite. 10kg sounds like such a lot as it weighs so little. It made me think of which is heavier a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers. But I guess you have calculated how much you need for your soil ratios.

I found your blog when I put my mouse on your name. Your site looks lovely and so professional. You are obviously a huge gardening enthusiast. I hope to learn lots from you. I love the layout of your blog. You also appear to be a very happy Access Garden Products customer. I have to agree with you about their customer care and helpful attitude. So many companies these days don’t treat their customers with such thought.

Please keep in touch. Are you coming to Chelsea Flower Show or any of the other shows that Access will be at? If so, you must come on the stand and say hi.

Warmest regards